Monday, April 18, 2011

Improvisational cooking



Most of the time, I like to cook without a recipe. I just look around at what's in the cupboards and fridge, and put something together. Improvising food is like improvising music, once you know the basics of what works with what (ingredient-wise or notes-wise), and you pick a key (pasta or B-flat), it can be relaxing and rewarding to make it up as you go.


For me, a trip to my co-op grocery store down the block is as enjoyable as going to a movie. I like to go on an empty stomach (it ensures you come home with the best tasting stuff) and take my time, picking out an item or two and then building a meal off of that. A few weeks ago, stopping on my way home from work, I came across duck eggs in the first aisle, which I hadn't had before. I decided on dinner right then: duck egg omelettes with smoked salmon, chives and sharp cheddar. My wife was initially grossed out by the concept of duck eggs, but the fluffy, slightly sweet omelettes were a hit.

No comments:

Post a Comment